This workflow will describe all the necessary steps that you need to follow to release a project.
It is targeted for those projects where more than one members are contributing in the project because that will require a standard workflow that will keep the quality in check at each level.
So try to follow the steps as mentioned below, where a repository have been taken for sample.
- First you need to setup the codebase on your local machine
- Create a clone of the repository
- Get inside the repository folder
- cd sample-ios
- Refer this article GitFlow based branching strategy for your project repository to learn more about the gitflow mechanism of handling a project
- Enable git flow mechanism on the current repository
- git flow init -d
- It is required to be done by each contributor
- Checkout develop branch
- git checkout develop
- Copy & paste all the code in this folder from previous repo
- Update .gitignore file by adding file/folder name that you don't want to add in repo
- Stage all the relevant & required files
- git add .
- Commit the code with relevant message
- If you add issue number in you commit message like #1 Added initial codebase, then the commit would reflect under https://github.com/sampleapps/sample-ios/issues/1 issue
- Push the committed code
- git push
- Once you have made a stable code base in develop branch then raise pull request to merge it in master branch.
- When your pull request will get approved, then either you or approver can merge the pull request to the master branch.
- Using gitflow you need to create release branch as
- git flow release start release-1.0.0
- test this code base to make sure everything is stable and releasable
- git flow release finish 'release-1.0.0'
- Then, go to https://github.com/sampleapps/sample-ios/releases
- Create new release
- Mention Tag version, e.g., v1.0.0
- Choose the Target branch as release-1.0.0
- Mention the Release title as Release v1.0.0
- Add the release notes in the Describe section that should contain all the relevant text in points like
- new features added
- bug fixed
- limitations if any
- Attach the binary files like installer exe, apk, app, etc.
- Click on Publish release button to make it public
Note: Although I have mentioned all the steps using command line but I'll recommend you to use Sourcetree app instead because it will provide a lot of ease while following the workflow.