Skip to main content

Encode or decode date in 3 characters

I have developed a new way to encode/decode dates within 3 characters by using base-36 format.

What is a base 36 format?
Base 36 or hexatridecimal is a positional numeral system using 36 as the radix. The choice of 36 is convenient in that the digits can be represented using the Arabic numerals 0-9 and the Latin letters A-Z.

In simple language, base-36 format refers to series of 0-9 followed by A-Z characters, i.e., 0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ; where each character refers to the position index in series.

The concept can also be represents as shown in the below table

Series
Character
Series
Character
Series
Character
Series
Character
0
0
10
A
20
K
30
U
1
1
11
B
21
L
31
V
2
2
12
C
22
M
32
W
3
3
13
D
23
N
33
X
4
4
14
E
24
O
34
Y
5
5
15
F
25
P
35
Z
6
6
16
G
26
Q


7
7
17
H
27
R


8
8
18
I
28
S


9
9
19
J
29
T



e.g., 12 → C, 19 → J, 34 → Y

Now here is a way to use the same logic for date, so to do that let us take a date and encode it as

25-Oct-2019 → 25-10-2019 → 25.10.19 → P.A.J → paj

Similarly, decode it back as

paj → P.A.J → 25.10.19 → 2019-10-25 → 25-Oct-2019

Note, here P.A.J is converted to lowercase as paj to make it more compact.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unlock protected blocks in Siemens SIMATIC Step 7

Recently I'd been called by Hindalco's Fabrication Plant division to unlock the protected blocks in Siemens SIMATIC Step 7. They were in need to unlock those blocks since an year because of 1 million Rupees of loss per month. They want to re-program those blocks but it was locked by the man who'd done the setup. From the people working in that department, I came to know that they were trying to call that man (someone from Italy) right here but he's not coming. Actually, what he'd done was that he'd locked some of the blocks and deleted the source file. And Siemens didn't provide any feature to unlock. Department people also told me that even the people working in Siemens don't know how to do it. Being a software engineer I know that any thing can be reverse engineered. So I took up the challenge. How did I unlocked the blocks? The first thing I'd done was searched about this software at Google and read about what is this software all about. Aft...

JS: The complete code example of Crypto.js (DES)

For one of the project I was trying to use crypto.js but I found that the Quick-start Guide have some deficiency in terms of library usage. So I am writing it here as a useful note for memory recap. <script src="http://crypto-js.googlecode.com/svn/tags/3.1.2/build/rollups/tripledes.js"></script> <script> var encrypted = CryptoJS.DES.encrypt("The secret message", "secret_key"); var e_msg = encrypted.toString(); console.log(e_msg); var decrypted = CryptoJS.DES.decrypt(e_msg, "secret_key"); var d_msg = decrypted.toString(CryptoJS.enc.Utf8); console.log(d_msg); </script>

Openmeetings Widget Wordpress Plugin

One of my client asked me to create a Wordpress plugin, so the first thing I did was to search for any existing plugin on which I can work on. Luckily I found one. It was developed by Shuki Vaknin. You can visit his plugin at:  http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/openmeetings-integration-plugin-widget/ But I had little different requirement. So I modified the Shuki Vaknin's plugin. The modification is that every session has a unique username. I choose guest as default name while adding a timestamp along with guest keyword like guest34578689 . Download Link:  openmeetings-integration-plugin-widget.zip